Tuesday, September 7, 2010

"I could've swore this was the right road."

I had several possibilities for chapter two -Sunder-. A brand new idea was to have the grandson abducted from his home instead of later at the portal like I had planned. Being a shiny new idea, I ran with it. It was really exciting stuff with a mad chase across a lightning riddled landscape amidst a terrible otherworldly storm. I'd knocked off 2,200 words before it dawned on me where exactly this path was taking me, straight to awkwardville. Everything in the second half of the chapter that had been planned to occur naturally at it's own pace would now become forced and out of step. Scratch a day's writing. Time to start chapter over.

Next time I get one of my bright ideas, maybe I'll think it through a bit before charging in like Custer. Sure I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment