Tuesday, October 26, 2010

I Hate Red-Eye

I hate Red-Eye. It's so damn hard to concentrate on writing when that show is on.

Been struggling with some of Sunder's philosophical loose ends in chapter 12. I want to  get through this section so I can get on with the show. Here's a few lines to show the awful stuff I'm stuck trying to work through. Grrrr....

This is the way it stands so you'll have to live with the un-punctuation slop.



"The problem is the energy necessary to rip the universe in two would have to be astronomical. That much energy wouldn't just turn a little sand to glass, it would probably consume half the universe.

Humor me here. What about magic?

Magic? Not my forte. I pretty much follow Arthur C. Clark's supposition that any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. 

Fine. I'll buy that. But what if there's a force in the universe that, for lack of a scientific name, we call magic? 
That is, a force that can't be measured by science. What do experts generally do with data that challenges their expertise?

They bury it under the rug. At least, that's what I'm always preaching to my readers.

Precisely.

You agree with that?

Of course. It's human nature. People protect what they have.

You think that's all it is, human nature?

Sure. What do you think, it's a conspiracy or something?

No, of course not. I mean, it's not like it's a back room conspiracy or …. look, never mind what I believe, you might be on to something, here. What makes magic magic is it's miraculous nature. It does what science dictates is impossible. You know, your theory sort of throws a monkey wrench in the Sherlock Holmes's notion that if you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.  I mean, how do you eliminate the impossible when magic is an element of the equation?
 
You spend a lot of time alone, don't you.

2 comments:

  1. The first time I read this, it was something like a quarter to six in the morning. I squinted, groaned, shut my laptop, and went back to bed. Now that it’s a more reasonable hour, I can say-- eesh, I don’t envy you the writing. The philosophical-magic-science-whatever was fun to read-- but I see why you’ve been avoiding it. In other words, good work, and thanks for terrorizing me into repaying part of my sleep debt. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol. It's good to know my work helped put you to sleep.

    ReplyDelete